- The release of Like a Virgin was postponed as Madonna’s first album and the singles were still such a success.
- Nile Rodgers wanted Material Girl to be the lead single, Madonna didn’t agree and Like a Virgin was released as the lead single.
- Madonna premiered Like a Virgin at the MTV Video Music Awards on September 14, 1984. It was one of those defining moments in the history of MTV. They had requested for her to perform Lucky Star, M refused and performed Like a Virgin instead.
- The album was re-released in 1985 with the inclusion of ‘Into The Groove’.
- A remastered edition with two bonustracks was released in 2001.
- The album has sold around 21 million copies worldwide, making it one of the most succesful albums of all time.
- By July 1985, Like a Virgin became the first album by a female artist to be certified for sales of five million units in the United States
- Over & Over was released as a commercial single only in Italy, creating very valuable 7″ and 12″ records with picturesleeve!
- Love Don’t Live Here Anymore was only released as a commercial single in Japan
- The VHS ‘Madonna’ including 4 video’s was released to promote the two studio albums. It won the award for the “Best Selling Video Cassette Merchandised as Music Video”, from the National Association of Recording Merchandisers.
- A Russian CD re-issue of the album featured the original artwork of the back cover, on the front
- In Bulgaria the LP was released with completely unique artwork
- Madonna promoted Like a Virgin heavily in Japan and embarked on an extensive promotional tour, performing the track on several TV shows and various interviews
- In the UK she performed the track on Top Of The Pops while wearing a pink wig, she was advised to not wear it as she looked amazing without it, she refused
- Like a Virgin was also performed on Solid Gold in the USA with the same pink wig
- It was on the set of the Material Girl video that Madonna met her husband-to-be Sean Penn
- In 1985 she embarked on her first ever tour; The Virgin Tour, unfortunately she did not visit Europe and performed only in the US and Canada. The tour was a complete success with every single show selling out
Release date: November 12, 1984
1. “Material Girl”
Peter Brown Robert Rans
Madonna Ciccone Stephen Bray
3. “Like a Virgin”
Thomas Kelly William Steinberg
4. “Over and Over”
5. “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore” Miles Gregory 4:47
6. “Dress You Up”
Andrea LaRusso Peggy Stanziale
7. “Shoo-Bee-Doo” Ciccone 5:16
“Into The Groove” was added to the 1985 re-issue