Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and Madonna star in this major-league comedy from the team that brought you ‘BIG’. Hanks stars as Jimmy Dugan, a washed-up ball player whose big league days are over. Hired to coach in the all American Girls Baseball League of 1943, while the male pros are at war. Dugan finds himself drawn back into the game by the heart and heroics of his “all girl” team.
Jon Lovitz adds a scene-stealing cameo as the sarcastic scout who recruits Dottie hanson (Dottie) the ‘baseball dolly’ with babe Ruth swing. Team mates Madonna, Lori Petty and Rosie O’Donnell round out the roster taking the team to the World Series.
Based on the true story of pioneering women who blazed the trail for generations of Athletes
- Film Facts:
- Directed by: Penny Marshall
- COMEDY / DRAMA
- Madonna as Mae Mordabito
- Madonna was taught to play baseball to get more into her character
- Her part initially was bigger, but it got cut
- Madonna wrote the song This Used To Be My Playground for the movie, although a smash hit it wasn’t included on the films’ soundtrack or Madonna’s new upcoming album ‘Erotica’. It was included on the Barcelona Gold compilation.
- During the movie’s credits This Used To Be My Playground is being played and contains a third verse. This version has never been commercially released.
- A League Of Their Own was a huge success
- Madonna met her dear friend Rosie O’Donnell during the taping of this movie